Vocabulary for IELTS – the letter C (set 1)
In order to get a good result in your IELTS test, it is essentially to have wide range of vocabulary. Regardless of whether you are preparing for the Academic Module or the General Training Module, you need to have a strong understanding of academic vocabulary.
The vocabulary pages on this site are designed to help you improve your vocabulary for IELTS in all the four skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) and are divided into the letters.
This lesson covers the first group of words that begin with the letter ‘C’
For advanced users: DON’T click the link below to see the words – look at the sentences in the exercise below and see if you can find the correct answer.Click here to see the words covered in this lesson
Now complete the sentences below using one of the words above.
- You should use each word only once
- You may have to change the end of the word to fit the sentence (e.g. adding +ed)
- Sometimes an answer that is NOT in the list above is possible. The quiz will mark this as incorrect.
- Parents sometimes find it difficult to _______ their children that they should concentrate on their studies. Show answerCONVINCE
- Councils should _______ rundown urban areas into clean and secure playgrounds for children. Show answerCONVERT
- Delegates from all around the world will _______ to discuss the issues related to global warming. Show answerCONVENE
- _______ has always surrounded this topic and many people have very strong opinions as to the best way to resolve the problem. Show answerCONTROVERSY
The _______ between how we live today and the lives of past generations is enormous. Show answerCONTRAST
- Every individual should _______ in some positive way to the society in which they live. Show answerCONTRIBUTE
_______ views have been put forward on this controversial topic. Show answerCONTRARY
These opinions ______________ the beliefs of many. Show answerCONTRADICT
Some schools require students to sign a good behaviour _______ if they misbehave. Show answerCONTRACT
It is easier to understand the issues when considering the full _______ of the situation. Show answerCONTEXT