Do I need Academic or General Training IELTS?


Do I need Academic or General Training IELTS?

Do I need Academic or General Training IELTSAs you probably know, there are two types of IELTS test – the Academic Module and the General Training Module IELTS test. One of the most common questions we hear from candidates about to being their IELTS preparation is Do I need Academic or General Training IELTS? Here’s some useful advice that will help you decide!


IELTS for migration to an English speaking country

If you are planning to move to an English speaking country, you will often have a choice of which IELTS test you take. However, there are a number of points to keep in mind. If you plan to work in a professional job when you get to your new home, you will often need to take the Academic IELTS (see ‘Professional registration’ below). However, many people find it easier to take the General Training Module, and with all the stress of moving to a new country, you might want to choose the General Training Module to make life easier! If you have an immigration agent, it is always worth checking to make sure though!


IELTS for professional registration

Are you a doctor, nurse, lawyer, dentist or in another professional occupation? Often you will find that English speaking countries require IELTS as proof of your English ability, and if you are registering as a professional you will need the Academic Module.

IELTS for overseas study

If you are going to another country to study, then you will need the Academic Module IELTS test. The exact score you need will depend on the institution you are going to study at, and the course you are taking. For a Masters Degree, for example, you may be asked for a Band 7 or even higher, but to simply study English you may only need a Band 5 (and sometimes no IELTS result at all!). It’s always best to get written confirmation from the school or institution you are applying to before you start preparing.

Do you have a different situation? Post about it below and we’ll give you the best answer we’ve got!

Please help us reach more people by sharing!


Previous comments:
    Masum Billah says:

    i am Masum. Actually i want to get imigration from canada,i am Bangladeshi and work as a area marketing manager in a baby food,whice type of ielts should i choose.please suggest me also what i should do now.

    As a Chartered Accountant in the late 40S what is the required score i nned to obtain to qualify in the Accademic Module

    Ieltsforfree says:

    Hi Olukeyede – that really depends on what you are using the results for. For example, if you are using IELTS for residency and you are not the main aplpicant, 5.5 can be enough. However, if you are looking for professional registration, then you may need Band 7 or higher. We don’t really know much about immigration requirements, so you may need to check with an immigration agent. Hope that helps!

    Kevin Hoo says:

    I am an IT engineer, and palnning to work in Britain. Should I take A or G?

    Ieltsforfree says:

    Hi Kevin – for work purposes, you’ll need the Academic Module.