Talking about people in the IELTS speaking test lesson 3
Learning synonyms is a good way to enrich your English vocabulary, and this will help you achieve a higher IELTS band score. The two columns below contain two lists of adjectives.
Try to match up a word from column one with a synonym in column two, in ten minutes or less.
- amusing = funny
- diligent = dedicated
- easy-going = relaxed
- fearless = intrepid
- generous = kind
- intelligent = clever
- loyal = faithful
- optimistic = positive
- passionate = enthusiastic
- creative = inventive
- rational = logical
- utopian = idealistic
Now practice in a complete sentence.
Finish the sentences below with an appropriate adjective from Part One.
1. In order to be a successful artist you need to be __________.Show answers
2. John is such a _________ student, he studies for four or five hours every night.Show answers
3. Dogs are man’s best friend because they are so _________.Show answers
4. Sandra’s grandfather is really __________ , he bought her a car for her birthday.Show answers
5. In an ___________ world there wouldn’t be any suffering or unhappiness.Show answers
6. Sharks are naturally ___________ , they have no predators and killing is instinctive.Show answers
7. Maxine is so __________ about Italian movies, she’s decided to study Italian.Show answers
8. Mathematics requires a ___________ process of thinking.Show answers
9. In New Zealand you can enjoy an __________ lifestyle.Show answers
10. It is better to be an ___________ person – it is a much happier outlook on life.
11. We watched a very _____________ comedian on TV last night.Show answers
12. Albert Einstein was an extremely ___________ scientist and mathematician.Show answers