NOTE: this page will be developed with further information over time, but if you have any additional suggestions please write them in the comments area below – thanks!
As we’ve mentioned in previous posts (and is probably obvious!), when you are asked a question in the speaking test but cannot think of a response straight away, you should avoid just using words like ‘Umm….errr…..’.
Here are some expressions that you can use to delay your answer to give you time to think.Advertisement
NOTE: These expressions are for Part Three of the speaking test – they are too formal for Part 1!
- That’s a very provocative question
- It’s a contentious issue, but I think
- There are certainly different schools of thought regarding this
- Well, I don’t personally have any strong views on this, but…
- That’s not something I have ever really considered before, but..
- This is actually an issue / question that has been discussed for some time now